Why Is My Old Tupperware Sticky?
If there’s one thing that everyone should know about plastic Tupperware containers, it’s that they can last for decades. However, it takes effort to keep your old Tupperware containers clean and in good condition. Otherwise, they can easily develop issues like stickiness.
But what exactly makes old Tupperware sticky? Well, that’s what we’re going to talk about in today’s post.
Why do old Tupperware containers get sticky?
There are two main reasons behind a sticky old Tupperware container. For one, the container may have a plastic coating that breaks down over time and becomes sticky.
Alternatively, the stickiness could be from oil/grease accumulated from foods previously stored in the container.
How do you clean old sticky Tupperware?
You’ll need water, a washing cloth, and baking soda or distilled white vinegar.
If you choose to use baking powder, follow the steps below:
- Mix baking soda and warm water in a bowl until they form a paste with a toothpaste consistency
- Use a washing cloth to rub the paste onto the sticky Tupperware and scrub it
- Rinse the container with warm water and repeat the scrubbing where necessary
- Once the Tupperware is clean and thoroughly rinsed, leave it out to dry
If you choose to use distilled white vinegar instead, follow the steps below:
- Soak a clean paper towel in warm distilled white vinegar
- Place the soaked paper towel in the Tupperware, ensuring it covers the areas with stickiness. Leave the towel in there for 5 to 10 minutes
- Use water and dish soap to wash the Tupperware
- Rinse the container thoroughly and then leave it out to dry
How to prevent your Tupperware from becoming sticky
To keep your Tupperware from becoming sticky, you can take the following measures:
- Keep your Tupperware containers in the sun when you can. This will keep dirt particles from accumulating on the films covering your containers and making them sticky. It will also prevent odors
- Always wash and rinse your Tupperware containers thoroughly. For best results, use warm soapy water for cleaning
- Store your Tupperware containers with salt inside them. This will help combat both stickiness and odors
When should I throw away old Tupperware?
If your old Tupperware keeps getting sticky because of its plastic film, it’s time to throw it out. Another sign that it’s time to dispose of your Tupperware is that it has developed deep scratches and/or cracks. These can store bacteria and transfer them to your food.
There is some good news though – such containers can usually be recycled or reused around the home.
Consider glass Tupperware
To avoid container stickiness altogether, consider swapping out your plastic Tupperware with glass ones. While these break more easily when dropped, they are more hygienic and can safely be used in microwaves.
If you take care of them, they can last just as long as their plastic counterparts.