If there’s one thing that Stasher bags are known for, it’s versatility. After all, these bags can safely come straight from the freezer into the microwave. But is it true that you can also cook food in a stasher bag or is this just a PR stunt? We’re here to answer that today.
Can you cook food in a Stasher bag?
Yes, you can cook food in a Stasher bag. These bags are made of platinum food-grade silicone that can withstand high temperatures. It also helps that they are leak-proof, therefore you can cook any consistency food in a Stasher bag.
How do you cook in a Stasher bag?
There are several ways that you can cook with Stasher bags. For one, you can try the sous vide method. This involves sealing your food in a Stasher bag and then placing it in a pot of water that you then heat for one to six hours at a lower-than-usual temperature.
This cooking method can be used on a variety of food types and will ensure an evenly cooked yet moist result. Another cooking method you can use with Stasher bags is baking.
Just place what you want to cook in your bag and then toss it in the oven or microwave.
After all, these bags can withstand temperatures of up to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. What’s more? They don’t leach any chemicals into your food. This also makes them great for steaming food.
To do this, place our food in a Stasher bag with some oil and/or herbs and then place it in boiling water for around 10 minutes while partially sealed.
Another interesting way to cook using a Stasher bag is to use it inside your Instant Pot.
How do you cook eggs in a Stasher bag?
You can easily cook an omelet or scrambled eggs using a Stasher bag. To make the former, follow the steps below:
- Fill a pot halfway with water and start heating it on your stovetop
- Take a clean Stasher bag and a half teaspoon of oil to it. This will coat its inside and make it easy to get the omelet out after cooking
- Crack 2 eggs into the Stasher bag and then add the condiments you want in the omelet. These could be salt, peepers, or onions
- Remove air from the Stasher bag and then tightly seal it
- Smoosh the mixture together using your hands
- Once your water is boiling in the pot, toss your Stasher bag in and then wait for around 15 minutes
- Use tongs to remove the Stasher bag from the water and then let it cool for at least a minute
- Open the bag and let the omelet slide onto a plate
To make scrambled eggs using a Stasher bag, follow the same steps above but squish and shake your Stasher bag before emptying its contents onto a plate.
How do you cook broccoli in a Stasher bag?
To cook broccoli in a Stasher bag, steam it as explained below:
- Take a pot and add 6 to 7 cups of water to it
- Place the pot on your stovetop and bring the water to a boil
- Slice your broccoli into pieces, place them into a Stasher bag, and remove air from it
- Seal the bag and then place it into the boiling water
- Wait for up to 15 minutes and then use a tong to remove the bag from the water
- Wait for at least one minute for the bag to cool and then remove the broccoli from it
You can also do this for other vegetables like potatoes, carrots, green beans, and bell peppers. Since potatoes need more time to cook than broccoli, you will need to leave them in the boiling water for longer.
How to cook chicken in a Stasher bag?
To cook chicken using a Stasher bag, you can use the sous vide method or bake the chicken. If you choose the latter route, you’ll have to cut the chicken into slices, put them in a Stasher bag, and then bake them in an oven that’s been preheated to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Just remember to ensure that the whole Stasher bag is on the baking sheet. Also, you’ll need to cook the chicken slices for 16 minutes; you’ll have to flip over the bag after 8 minutes.
You can use the same process to bake salmon. Just keep in mind that you’ll have to bake thick salmon slices for up to an hour.
How do you cook rice in a Stasher?
To cook rice in a Stasher bag, follow the steps below:
- Pour 1 ¼ cups of water into a clean Stasher bag and add a little salt
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of oil to the water
- Wash ½ cup of rice and add it to your bag
- Seal the bag but leave a small hole in the middle
- Place the bag in your microwave for 10 to 15 minutes
- Remove the bag from the microwave, let it cool, and serve your rice
Can you cook pasta in a Stasher bag?
While cooking pasta in a Stasher bag is tricky, you can comfortably use a Stasher bowl for this. If you only have a Stasher bag, you’re better off making noodles.
All you have to do is mix your noodles with boiling water, and the ingredients you want to use. Then just wait for a few minutes and you’re good to go.
How do you bake pastries in a Stasher bag?
When it comes to baking pastries like cakes using a Stasher bag, you’ll just have to add your finished dough to it before placing it in the oven as usual.
Just ensure you clean your Stasher bag after cooking
When it comes down to it, you can cook almost any food in a Stasher bag. Just ensure that you clean it thoroughly after you put any type of food in a Stasher bag. Otherwise, you risk mold growth.
Fortunately, these bags can be washed on the top or bottom rack of the dishwasher. Alternatively, you can clean them using warm soapy water and a brush.