Are Brita Water Filters Recyclable?
With all the things that are happening in the world, the last thing you need to be worrying about is drinking dirty water. That’s why getting a filter is always a good idea.
Fortunately, there are a variety of filtration options –are particularly efficient ones.
So to help you out, we are going to talk about Brita filters in today’s post.
We are particularly going to dwell on their biodegradability and recyclability.
What type of plastic are Brita water filters made of?
Brita filters are made of polypropylene plastic. However, the plastic used in this filter is all BPA-free.
Are Brita water filters recyclable?
Yes, Brita water filters are recyclable.
How do you recycle Brita water filters?
To recycle Brita filters, you have to send them back to their manufacturer, distributor, or licensed recycling partner. There they will be taken apart and their components sent to a specialized recycling plant. At this site, they will be processed into new products.
If you live in Ireland, you can send your Brita filters to their licensed distributor called Bluestone.
If you live in the United States, you can send them to Terracycle. The company has a partnership with Brita to recycle its products. You can even get some rewards from Brita if you recycle through this program.
To do so, just follow the steps below:
- Go to Brita’s recycling page and open an account. While you can skip this step, you can’t get any Brita rewards without it
- Get a shipping box, place your filters inside it and seal it
- Log into your Brita account and fill out a mailing form so that you can get a shipping label. If you don’t have a Brita account and don’t want to get one, you can create a Terracycle account and get a shipping label from there
- Print your shipping label, attach it to your box, and drop it at a UPS store. Using another shipping store will force you to part with some of your money
Are Brita water filters biodegradable?
No, Brita filters are not biodegradable.
Do Best Buy and Whole Foods recycle Brita water filters?
No, Best Buy and Whole Foods don’t recycle Brita filters.
How do you properly dispose of a Brita water filter?
The best way to dispose of a Brita filter is to recycle it.
But before you send it away, you have to prepare it by following the steps below:
- Wash it thoroughly and then leave it out to dry for 3-6 days
- Use a dry cloth to wipe off any dust or dirt from the surface of your filter
- Place your filter in a plastic bag before putting it in the shipping box
What else can you do with Brita water filters besides recycling them?
Apart from recycling Brita water filters, you can:
- Reuse them – you can clean and dry them before using them again. You can also reuse old ones as gardening planters
- Donate them – you can give them to plastic producers
- Throw them in the trash – this is not ideal but can be a last resort who can’t readily access recycling options
Take care of your filters!
Ultimately, the best way to reduce water filter waste is to use yours for as long as possible and then recycle them when you’re done.